Sign up for the Today newsletter
Get everything you need to know to start your day, delivered right to your inbox every morning.
By Annie Jonas
As the dispute between Republic Services and its workers goes on, tensions are rising – and trash continues to pile up across 14 communities in Massachusetts.
The Boston City Council and the Secretary of State are now calling on the waste management giant to come back to the bargaining table, warning that the situation is becoming a growing public health concern.
City Councilors Erin Murphy, John Fitzgerald, and Ed Flynn sent a letter on Friday directly addressing Republic Services, accusing the company of failing to meet the workers’ demands for better wages and benefits. The councilors argued that the workers’ requests were reasonable and urged the waste disposal company to return to the bargaining table.
“The City of Boston is already experiencing service disruptions as a result of this strike, and we are deeply concerned about the impact on public health, local businesses, and our residents,” the Councilor’s letter said. “We urge Republic Services to immediately return to the bargaining table and reach a contract that reflects the dedication of these workers and meets the expectations of the communities you serve.”
The dispute centers on workers’ demands for fair wages, improved healthcare benefits, paid time off, and better working conditions.
The Teamsters are pushing Republic to match the wages paid by Capitol Waste Services, a company that handles municipal trash pickup for Boston and several surrounding communities. According to Teamsters Local President Tom Mari, the union volunteered to extend negotiations through Friday night and into the weekend. However, the union said that Republic “walked out” and refused to bargain through the weekend.
The city councilors also expressed concern over the growing impact of the strike, with over a dozen communities already experiencing service disruptions. The council noted that the ongoing work stoppage is affecting public health, local businesses, and residents across the city.
“We are deeply concerned about the impact on public health, local businesses, and our residents,” the letter continued. “We are also troubled that a Fortune 500 company with significant annual profits and a CEO compensation package exceeding $12 million would refuse to provide its frontline workers with the fair and respectful treatment they deserve.”
With both sides set to return to negotiations on Tuesday, residents and local businesses are left to navigate the growing pile of waste while city officials work to secure a resolution.
Tell us by filling out the form or e-mailing us at [email protected], and your response may appear in a future Boston.com article.
Sorry. This form is no longer available.
Annie Jonas is a Community writer at Boston.com. She was previously a local editor at Patch and a freelancer at the Financial Times.
Get everything you need to know to start your day, delivered right to your inbox every morning.
Stay up to date with everything Boston. Receive the latest news and breaking updates, straight from our newsroom to your inbox.
Conversation
This discussion has ended. Please join elsewhere on Boston.com